Laundry Renovation Checklist
It is easy to ignore the laundry as it is invariably the smallest room in the home. Doing an effective laundry renovation in Melbourne, however, can significantly improve your quality of life by streamlining tasks that have to be done day in and day out. It is worth considering the following points so your renovation has as positive an impact as possible:
- Are the appliances I have chosen of a good enough size and quality to handle the amount and frequency of washing my family creates? And are those appliances energy-efficient models, which can ultimately save money through a reduction in ongoing operating costs?
- Will my laundry renovation give me sufficient space for loading and unloading the washing machine and for folding clean clothes? And will it also have enough room for drying clothes indoors in wet weather?
- Does the design incorporate enough storage space for an iron, ironing board, drying rack, detergents and the rest of the household cleaning materials? All these items should be able to be stored out of sight but in an easy-to-find and easy-to-retrieve location as they are required on a regular basis.
- Is there going to be a reasonable level of venting when the renovation is complete? A laundry generates a lot of heat, especially when an electric dryer is in use, so particular attention needs to be paid to allowing air to flow around the room and be extracted.
- Can the walls and floors handle getting wet without staining or causing a musty smell? Doing the washing produces lots of condensation and inevitably the occasional spill and splash, so all the surfaces need to be non-porous and easily rinsed and dried.
Addressing the above issues will result in your Melbourne laundry renovation giving you a highly functional space that makes life easier and is pleasant to work in.
Kitchen Renovations Checklist
Undertaking a renovation of your Melbourne kitchen is a big project that requires plenty of forethought and planning. Ask yourself the following questions so your kitchen renovation delivers the simplification of day-to-day chores and enhancement to the look and feel of your home that a successful job can bring:
- What am I trying to achieve? Are you just trying to enhance the selling value of your home? Do you want to make better use of the space in your home? Or are you looking for increased functionality from diverse and advanced appliances? Often people will do a kitchen renovation without having a specific aim, if you target what you want to achieve the end result will have a greater impact.
- Which bench tops should I choose? There is a wide variety of surfaces available in Melbourne, each of which gives a different look. You should research the practicality and durability of options such as laminate, marble, stainless steel, granite and stone so your choice best suits your requirements.
- Have you decided on a comprehensive list of appliances? You will invariably factor the major appliances such as fridge freezers and rangehoods into the initial plan, but it’s easy to forget smaller things like toasters and coffee machines until afterwards. Planning for them in advance will lead to a less cluttered, more user-friendly space in which to work.
- How do I want to light my renovated kitchen? Under-cabinet lighting gives a softer look and directly illuminates bench tops; LED downlights in the ceiling are very energy-efficient and illuminate the whole room. Decide on the look you want, and how that fits in with adjacent rooms.
- Am I using a reputable firm? Hiring one of Melbourne’s reputable kitchen renovation contractors will ensure all the work is of the highest quality and completed in accordance with safety and compliance regulations.
Australia’s long summers with many hours of bright sunshine are regarded with great envy in many parts of the world, and contribute to our reputation as a healthy, outdoorsy kind of country. The very hot temperatures and extended periods of direct sunlight do bring risks, however, and we need to protect our homes and families from over-exposure to them. Awnings are a great help in offering this protection, keeping sun glare from our windows. Large folding arm awnings add to our living space, enabling us to be outside but sheltered from the sun’s harmful ultraviolet rays.